Use a list of farm books for toddlers or preschoolers to find a great book to read to your child about country life.
Lessons from the Farm
Children who live in cities, suburbs and even in rural areas are often fascinated by the animals and machines found on a farm. Farm books can teach many lessons to youngsters, including:
- Animal identification
- Caring for animals
- Identification of farm machinery and their uses
- How to grow crops
- What daily life is like for someone who lives on a farm
- Life lessons like sharing
Not every farm book teaches a lesson. Many are written to provide a fun story for kids about animals who get into trouble with the farmer or who play games when no one else is looking. Regardless of whether a farm book is just for fun or teaches a lesson, farm books are sure to get kids interested in reading when they are toddler and preschool aged.
Suggested List of Farm Books for Toddlers or Preschoolers
Toddler and preschool aged children include a range of listening and comprehension abilities. Typically, kids in this age group range from 18 months to 4 years old. From board books to longer story books with dialogue, kids this age are likely to enjoy a selection from this list of farm books for toddlers or preschoolers:
- Open the Door by Christopher Santoro is a lift-the-flap board book that helps children discover which animals makes which barnyard sounds.
- Old McDonald Had a Farm by Kathi Ember is Little Golden Book's version of the popular song.
- Busy Barnyard by John Schindel follows the animals on a farm.
- Funny Farm by Mark Teague is about the adventures of a city dog visiting his country relatives and hilarity ensues.
- Spot Goes to the Farm by Eric Hill is one of the books in the Spot series, with this one following the puppy to the farm in the popular lift-the-flap format.
- Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown depicts a day in the life of those on the farm, from the family who lives there to the animals in the barn.
- Welcome to Merriweather Farm by Susan Knopf is a lift-the-flap book that provides educational information about farming, from how to plant to harvesting in a fun format for kids with characters like Johnny Tractor and Corey Combine.
- Punk Farm by Jarrett J. Krosoczka showcases a band of barnyard animals that boogie into the night after the Farmer has gone to bed.
- Fischer Price My Little People Farm by Doris Tomaselli is a board book with flaps that teaches children about counting, shapes and animal noises using the farm as the backdrop.
- Winter on the Farm by Laura Ingalls Wilder is an introduction to the Little House books, with this one featuring Almanzo Wilder going through his chores and day on the farm.
- The Farm Team by Linda Bailey is about a group of barnyard friends who form a hockey team.
- Farm Flu by Teresa Bateman is a funny tale about a boy who is left in charge of the farm and the animals come down with the flu and he must tend to them.
- On the Farm by David Elliott is a book of poems for children that have a farm theme.
- Farm Machines by Nancy Dickmann teaches kids about the vehicles and equipment used on farms.
- The Gobble Gobble Moooooo: Tractor Book by Jez Alborough features the animals enjoying a great time on the tractor until the farmer is up.
- Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin is a silly story about cows that negotiate with the farmer for things they want, including electric blankets, through notes written on a typewriter.
A suggested list of farm books for toddlers or preschoolers is a great starting place for parents, daycare providers and teachers who want to find some interesting books for kids about country living and farm life.