Christian moral short stories are a great way to make Christian values accessible to children of all ages. Stories have a way of sticking with people, and they activate the brain in a very different way than a list of facts does. Find Christian short stories to share with your kids.
Free Short Stories With Moral Messages Online
There are many free stories available online for children with a Christian moral message. These stories can be set in any time period and any nation and still demonstrate strong Christian values.
- Surrounded by Gifts - This story examines a girl who receives gifts every day but can't seem to be grateful for them.
- At the Carnival - A family moves in next to a free carnival. The locals don't ever go. Why not? Discover what they find at the fair.
- A Bad Dream - Max's dad discovers a lie by reading Max's journal. Can the two learn to forgive each other?
- Baby Polar Bears - Pudgy and a few other baby polar bears find a huge trove of fish. Will they hoard it, or share it with others less fortunate?
- The New Backpack - A short allegory about how sin seems easy to carry at first, but over time becomes heavier and heavier.
- Tony's Silver Dollar - Tony loses a prized possession his grandfather gave him. Will praying help him find it?
- The Broken Whiffersnapple - Joy intends to take care of her toys, she really does. But a messy room means a broken whiffersnapple - where will she find help?
- Oscar Needs a Library Card - Someone is stealing Gabby's library books when she tries to return them. Discover who Oscar is and why he hasn't asked for a library card.
- Lindy the Ladybug Loses Her Spots - Lindy thinks everyone will dislike her if she no longer has her beautiful spots. What will happen when she doesn't look like everyone else?
- A Friend for Boris - Boris the cat has moved to a new neighborhood. Will he be able to make friends, or is everyone too busy for him?
Some stories list the moral at the end, and others make the values clear through the account itself. Either way, these short stories are an excellent way to share your morals with your children.
Christian Short Story Books
Sometimes you don't want just to find a collection of stories online, you want a book you can hold in your hand. There are a variety of books that either collect Christian short stories, or are one longer short story, in a way that's easy to read to your kids.
Christian Short Story Collections
If you're looking for a physical book that you can bring into the bedroom for story time each night, these selections are perfect. Each story will help you illustrate key moral truth to your children.
- My 1st Book of Christian Values by Carine MacKenzie is perfect for young children who are curious about the world. Answer their questions with Christian short stories!
- Power Charged by Norma Armand is a collection of Christian short stories aimed at kids ages 7 - 11.
- Wait Till You See the Butterfly by Doreen Tamminga is a book of short stories that use simple daily situations to illustrate Christian truths.
Christian Stories Based on Real Life
Reading children stories based on real life people can help bring the message of the bible to life by making it more relatable.
- Children who love animals may relate especially well to St. John Bosco and His Big Gray Dog by Hayley Medeiros. They will learn about the life of this special saint and his good works for children and animals. Best for elementary school-age children.
- The Story of Saint John Paul II: A Boy Who Became Pope by Fabiola Garza is the true story of this pope's early childhood in Poland and his inspiring works throughout his life. For children aged six through nine.
- Therese: The Little Flower of Lisieux by Sioux Berger instructs children about the life of St. Therese and her early calling to a pious life as an example to life by. Designed for children in grades three through seven.
Inspirational Christian Stories
Parents can use these inspirational stories of the saints and others to impress upon children the power and grace of living a Christian life.
- Roses in the Snow: A Tale of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary by Dessi Jackson and illustrated by Lydia Grace Kada-Kallen is a beautiful book which tells the story of the life of Saint Elizabeth and her many deeds of charity and love. For kindergarten through grade two.
- Women of Faith: Saints and Martyrs of the Christian Faith by Calee M. Lee and illustrated by Lisa Graves is a collection of several stories of the many fearless and faithful ladies of the church. Young girls in particular will find much to emulate from these stories.
- When God Made You by Matthew Paul Turner and illustrated by David Catrow is a beautiful rhyming book that inspires children to learn about the gifts given to them by God and how they can use them to make the world a better place for themselves and others. For children in preschool through grade two.
Humorous Christian Stories
Stories for children can teach a strong moral Christian message without being humorless or dull. These books have a fun side that your child will enjoy while learning more about their faith.
- Goodnight, Ark by Laura Sassi and illustrated by Jane Chapman is a delightful board book for toddlers about the story of Noah's ark. Through amusing illustrations and rhymes, children will learn about Noah and his love for animals and people.
- Being Thankful (Little Critter) by Mercer Mayer features the popular Little Critter® character as he and his friends learn an important lesson about gratitude. For children age four through seven.
- Boy Meets Squirrels (The Dead Sea Squirrels) by Mike Nawrocki and illustrated by Luke Séguin-Magee is the hilarious story of a pair of petrified squirrels found in Israel who are brought back to life. With their young human friend Michael, they learn about the new century while teaching him about the life of Jesus. Suitable for children in grades one through five.
Stories Based on the Bible
Some Christian short stories are based on retelling Bible accounts. From the story of Abraham to the resurrection of Jesus, kids can learn great Christian values from these Bible stories, which are shared in simplified ways so that kids can easily grasp them. It's also easy to find free kids' Bible stories online which will help you share the moral lessons of scripture with your children. Some common parables from the Bible taught to children include:
- The Parable of the Lily by Liz Curtis Higgs tells the story of Easter in a beautifully illustrated book. The book is for children in second through third grade.
- The Parable of the Seeds by Joanne Bader presents the idea to children that, like seeds, people need to nurture their response to God to accept and live his words. The book is for children in kindergarten through third grade.
- The Parable of the Prodigal Son by Erik Rottman tells the story of God's love for everyone, no matter their weaknesses. The book is for children in kindergarten through second grade.
Stories Make an Impact
There's a reason Jesus used stories to teach the disciples. A story has a way of sinking into people's memory and sticking with them for a long time. With these Christian moral short stories, you can help your kids understand what right living looks like. The stories you teach them as children can stick with them throughout their lives!