The Bible is a rich source of exciting stories that provide guidance for Christian children around the world. Although major bookstores carry children's Bibles, there are also many websites that offer free Bible stories for all age groups to help support a child's religious education.
The first five books of the Bible, known as the Pentateuch, cover the beginning of Israelite history. From creation to the exodus, some of the most well-known stories are contained within the pages of these books.
- When God Made Everything: Filled with bright, beautiful illustrations, this story is available to view in PDF or PowerPoint formats, and it may be downloaded as a coloring book. The story of God's creation of the earth helps teach children about God's power, and that everything was created by His hands.
- The Start of Man's Sadness: Tackling the banishment of Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden, this story, which is full of bright illustrations, helps kids understand that breaking God's rules can have serious consequences.
- Cain and Abel: The ultimate tale about sibling rivalry, the story of Cain and Abel teaches children about the dangers of jealousy.
- The Story of Moses: Kids often remember Moses as being the recipient of the Ten Commandments, but his entire life story is exciting. The story of Moses teaches kids to follow God's instructions, even when they don't make sense. This version of the story features brightly colored pictures and active, easy-to-understand text.
- The Trip: Focusing on when Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt, this story helps teach kids to trust God. The site offers fun online activities to accompany the story.
The Historical Books
The historical books in the Bible include Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1st and 2nd Samuel, 1st and 2nd Kings, 1st and 2nd Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther. They tell stories about the lives of major Biblical characters that were pertinent to Israel's history as a whole.
- David the Shepherd Boy: This story takes David from his humble days as a shepherd to the battlefield fighting the mighty Goliath. It teaches kids that they are never alone as long as God is with them, and that through God, they have the strength to fight their fears. The beautifully illustrated story is available in PDF or PowerPoint formats and may be downloaded as a coloring book.
- Daniel and the Lions: The story of Daniel being thrown into a lion's den and walking out unharmed is fascinating to children. This version has an audio option and offers discussion topics for parents at the end. The story teaches kids to stay true to their beliefs, despite what they think they may lose in the process.
- Three Brave Boys: This is the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, three men thrown into a fiery furnace because they stuck to their beliefs. The story shows kids the importance of being brave and standing up for what is right. The site offers online puzzles and games to accompany the story.
- Queen Esther: A wonderful story full of courage and faith, the text follows Esther as she becomes queen and ultimately saves her people. The story has fun illustrations and an audio option. It teaches children to be brave in the face of difficult circumstances.
Poetry and Prophets
The rest of the Old Testament is comprised of books of poetry and the teachings of the prophets who tried to encourage and admonish the Hebrew people to follow God.
- A Whale of a Tale: This is a full-length, very well done, free online storybook about Jonah and the Whale. The story teaches kids the importance of obeying God and having faith in His plan.
- Prophets Describe A Savior: This story tells of Micah prophesying about the coming of a Savior. It helps kids understand the connection between Old Testament prophecy and New Testament fulfillment of those prophecies.
- The Story of Job: Job experienced a very painful and difficult life, and this story teaches children to trust God no matter what their circumstances.
The account of Jesus' birth is told in four books of the Bible - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Each contains a different viewpoint, but collectively these are known as the Gospels.
- The Star of Bethlehem: This story is the nativity story told from the viewpoint of the animals in the stable. It's fully narrated in a wonderful, interactive online book that teaches children about the birth of Jesus.
- The Wise Men: A beautiful telling of the Wise Men's Journey to see Jesus after his birth, this story helps children realize the importance of the birth of Jesus.
- The Christmas Story: Christian parents strive to teach their kids that Christmas is about more than Santa Clause and presents. This version of the story contains animated illustrations and text that is engaging and opens the door to discussion. There is also the option to purchase an narrated audio version.
Jesus' public ministry was marked by a variety of miracles. These are also shared throughout the gospels.
- Feeding the Crowds: Based on the Bible story of the loaves and fishes, this story helps children learn the importance of trusting God.
- Lazarus Raised to Life: The resurrection of Lazarus is one of the most incredible stories of the Bible. The story helps teach children about God's awesome power in a narrative that is simple and easy to read.
- Jesus Heals the Blind: Colorful illustrations accompany this story which tells of Jesus healing a blind man and teaches kids about the healing powers of God.
Parables and Teachings
Jesus liked to teach in parables to help his listeners better grasp his meaning.
- Zaccheaus the Tax Collector: This sweetly illustrated story shows kids that Jesus loves everyone, even those that may not be highly thought of by others.
- The Woman at the Well: This story is uniquely presented in a fictional format kids will love. It tells the story of Jesus showing compassion to sinners and teaches children of his unconditional love.
- The Good Samaritan: A wonderful story to teach children about helping others and not judging others, this story has great pictures and a sense of adventure kids will love.
- The Sermon on the Mount: Arguably one of Jesus' greatest moments, the Sermon on the Mount provides kids with guidelines for living a compassionate, productive life based on God's laws. The story includes helpful questions and lessons to promote further discussion.
- The Apostles are Imprisoned: The story of Jesus' disciples being thrown in prison for preaching in a temple. The story shows children that it's important to follow God's commands and not those of man.
Jesus' Death, Resurrection and Return
The end of the Gospels marks the early days of the church, from Jesus' death and resurrection to his ascension.
- The Lord's Supper: This story covers the time leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus, from the Last Supper to his betrayal by Judas and his ultimate arrest. The story includes discussion questions.
- Good Friday, The Crucifixion of Jesus: This story follows the trials of Jesus to his crucifixion. It features poignant pictures and discussion questions.
- He is Risen: The story of Easter as told by animals, this fully-interactive, narrated book is very well written. The story teaches kids the true meaning of Easter apart from eggs and baskets.
- The Resurrection of Jesus: This is a telling of the burial of Jesus, his resurrection, and his subsequent appearance to his disciples. It includes beautiful pictures and discussion questions.
- Heaven, God's Beautiful Home: In the Bible, the book of Revelation is challenging for adults to understand, let alone children. This story takes the key points of Revelation and makes them easily understandable. It teaches Christian children that death is not the end and talks about the eternal home.
Reading the Bible
Reading free online stories is a great way to teach your child important lessons of the Bible. The stories help foster a love of reading by providing kids with an alternative to noisy, distracting video games and television. Many stories are accompanied by supplemental activities, homeschool lessons, puzzles, and games to further reinforce the lessons of the Bible.